St. John’s Lutheran School has a deeply rooted history. In the summer of 1843, the school was founded with 30 pupils attending classes in the home of one of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church’s members.
By November 1843, 74 students between the ages of 7 and 17 were attending classes in a log building constructed by the church’s members on the east side of what is now State Route 736.
Through its long history, the school has been housed in many buildings, some of which were destroyed by fire or simply outgrown. Our current building was originally dedicated in 1937, but has undergone many additions and expansions over the years. In 1976, St. John’s expanded its program to include Kindergarten and again expanded in 1984 to offer a preschool program. To further serve our school families’, St. John’s expanded its offerings to include before and after school care through our Jaguar Education Connection program.
The school’s founding father’s set out to assist families in educating their children while instilling a deep understanding of our Christian faith and our calling to serve the Lord. Today’s school serves that same goal with approximately 200 pupils enrolled. St. John’s provides outstanding educational opportunities based on solid Christian values and teachings. St. John’s produces not only well-rounded students, but well-rounded individuals.
The first students’ course of instruction was listed as German reading, Bible history, Catechism, and a little arithmetic. Today, our students follow a balanced curriculum that covers the basics of reading, language, mathematics, social studies, and religion and is augmented with offerings such as art, music, computer classes, physical education, foreign language and many after school clubs, activities and athletic opportunities.
St. John’s is rich in history with an eye on your child’s future.